1. ANTENATAL CONSULTATIONS 1-2 HOURS
In your personalised ante-natal consultation, we will identify your goals and will provide varied and individualised education based on these identified needs. Encouraging questions and allaying concerns allow us to build confidence together before the birth of your new arrival.
During your consultation we will need to discuss your ante-natal medical and emotional history to identify any red flags and provide education accordingly.
We can discuss:
- The importance of the first breastfeed and why this first feed is so important to maintain lactation;
- Early signs the baby is not attached well and how to rectify;
- How to facilitate the first feed by practicing correct positioning and attachment using educational aids;
- Whether antenatal expressing is appropriate and how to perform expressing and safely collect and store breast milk before the baby’s birth;
- Changing breasts;
- What to expect and how to become familiar with your changing breasts;
- The function of your breasts;
- The anatomy that allows for lactation;
- How to effectively maximise and maintain lactation;
- What to expect in those first few weeks, normal feeding patterns and behaviours of the neonate;
- How often your baby may feed in the early postnatal period and what constitutes a successful breastfeed;
- Normal output and how to know my baby is effectively transferring milk from the breast;
- Support services and facilities available to you and the family as a new parent;
- Any other particular concerns or individual needs.
2. POSTNATAL CONSULTATION 1-2 HOURS
Gain confidence knowing that your Midwife /Lactation Consultant is on hand to support you during those early days and weeks while you transition into motherhood. You can choose how and when your care takes place.
By receiving early care and advice that is consistent, and non-conflicting, you are best placed to prevent difficulties from arising in the postnatal period. Your Midwife from Milk and Mums Co is available to visit mother and baby in hospital or at your home.
- Identify your goals for feeding and parenting;
- Extensive medical history also previous feeding experience;
- Infant feeding support – assessing your baby, your breast and a breastfeed. Suggesting modifications where appropriate.
- Education as to what constitutes a successful breastfeed;
- Parental support whilst transitioning to parenthood;
- Assistance to manage and devise a management strategy for;
- Cracked and damaged nipples
- Tongue and lip ties
- Poor attachment at the breast
- Breast refusal
- Nipple thrush
- Nipple vasospasm
- Management of insulin resistance/diabetes
- Low supply/oversupply
- Nipple shield- weaning off the shield and shield care.
- Management of feeding returning to work
- Management of previous breast surgery (reduction, augmentation)
- Multiple births
- Settling a baby to sleep, normal baby sleep patterns and sleep and settling education.
- Routine post natal mother and baby checks
Book your postnatal care visits with your Milk and Mums Co during your pregnancy or contact Milk & Mums Co as soon as your baby arrives.
Please check with your private health fund to see if your policy covers you for Antenatal and/or Postnatal Lactation Consultancy.